Heartland Inn &
This historical house was built in 1897 for Frank M.
Drew. Drew was famous for his work in the theater. This
building later became The Mission Manor and most recently,
The Ecclesia Center. The building was damaged by fire,
and required more space, so the original structure has
The current owners,
Arlene and Bill Bailey, are preserving this building's
historical background by establishing it as the new
Heartland Inn & Cafe, and Heartland Antiques and
Girard Borough and
Lake City Borough abut each other and are surrounded
by Girard Township, which was carved out of Elk Creek,
Fairview and Springfield Townships in 1832, receiving
its name from Stephen Girard, a wealthy Philadelphia
industrialist. The present Borough of Girard was incorporated
in 1846. The original town was located in the valley
on the west side of Elk Creek. It was a thriving village
and was the site of one of the Stage Company's "extensive
stables and changing place for their teams." However,
The Erie Extension Canal was built on the opposite side
of Elk Creek, which caused a transfer of business to
the present borough site. The Erie Extension Canal,
which connected the Ohio River with Lake Erie was in
operation from 1844 to 1872, when the aqueduct over
Elk Creek collapsed. William Silverthorn and his son,
Captain Abraham Silverthorn, were the earliest known
settlers in the township, arriving in 1798. By 1850
the census recorded a population of 400 in Girard Borough.
By 1900, the population had increased to 2,871. Girard
Public Square, commonly known as Wells Park, was a gift
from Joseph Wells, one of the land owners when the village
was laid out. The Soldiers' Monument in the center of
the main street was the first statue dedicated to honor
soldiers who fought in the Civil War. It was designed
by Leonard Volk, a Chicago sculptor, and was commissioned
by Dan Rice at a cost of $6,000. The statue was dedicated
on November 1, 1865 with 10,000 people in attendance.
Dan Rice chose Girard as his winter residence from 1856-75.
He was famous as a clown and circus performer.. Many
other circus shows were organized from his example and
also wintered in Girard, including Thayer & Noyes, Rice
& Forepaugh's, Anderson & Co. and G.R. Spalding & Co.
Thomas Nast, an artist from Harper's Weekly, used Dan
Rice's feature and costume to create "Brother Jonathan"
or -- "UNCLE SAM" who became a symbol of America. Lake
City is adjacent to Girard Borough, connected by Rice
Avenue, which was opened in the winter of 1867-68, under
a plan projected by Dan Rice. The census of 1850 recorded
a population of 135 in what was then Miles Grove but
by 1900, the population had increased to 2519. Miles
Grove was named after Judge Miles and was the site of
the area's first Post Office and the Railroad Station.
Miles Grove was incorporated as North Girard in 1926
and was renamed Lake City in 1953. The Girard-Lake City
Area, so rich in History, is involved in an ongoing
restoration and revitalization program, assisted by
the Girard-Lake City Chamber of Commerce. Main Street
restoration of commercial building and homes, along
with installation of "period" street lights and town
clock, give the feeling of yesterday with today's convenience.
The Girard Town Clock, pictured above, was donated by
the Girard-Lake City Chamber of Commerce. The Battles
Museum of Rural Life also adds to the flavor of this
historic community. The Yellow House, Battles Bank Museum,
Universalist Church and The White House, along with
the surrounding grounds, are an area treasure waiting
to be shared with all visitors and residents of Girard
and Lake City.